Saturday, September 18, 2010

Birthdays!!

Girly birthday cupcakes
Chocolate fudge cake, chocolate cream filling, mint buttercream

My take on bananas foster


Banana split in cupcake form



The Elvis

Well, the banana blitz is over. I posted some pictures of the flavors I did. I have to say that I was not completely pleased with how the fillings came out. It was the first time I had filled this particular type of cake and it was challenging. The cake was good but it was pretty dense so the filling did not "fill"quite as well as I had hoped. Either way, I do think they turned out pretty well and I am working on ideas for fixing the filling issue for the next time I make them.

Right now, I am working on a couple of birthday orders. I really like doing birthday orders the most. It's fun to be able to personalize things. Today, it was cupcakes for a little girl who LOVES pink and purple. I had a lot of fun making them very girly. Tomorrow, I am doing a cinnamon crumb cake for my sister-in-law's birthday. It is one of my favorite cakes to make and a fan favorite. Later this week, I have a layered birthday cake and some cupcakes for a 10 year old girl's birthday. I am hoping to make a trip to a bakery supply store this week that I hear carries Disco Dust. I have been coveting the disco dust for awhile now and I think it's time I get some for myself. I have been dying to try it out! Disco dust is super fine edible, sparkly glitter. What could be better than glitter for a girly birthday cake? Nothing, I say. Nothing.

I have a new flavor I want to try very soon. I am going to call it Strawberry Pucker. It will be lemon cake, strawberry filling and lemon buttercream. Of course, I will have to finish it off with Disco Dust :) I probably won't be able to try it this week though. We are headed to Disneyland on Friday. I know, poor me :) I am also wanting to get to work on some new Fall flavor combinations and bake up some cookies. Just your classics...chocolate chip, whoopie pies, sugar cookies. Simple is good when it comes to cookies, I think. Nothing says Fall like a batch of cookies in the oven. I just wish it wasn't 106 degrees outside. It might help me to be in the right mindset. Oh well, I guess I can just crank down the AC, close the blinds and pretend it's cold and rainy outside. A girl can dream, can't she?

Well, I had better be going. I have cupcakes to frost tonight. My family is from Ohio and most of us are Ohio State fans (except those backsliding Michigan fans). I thought I should do a cupcake to support our team and a delicious candy we make in Ohio, the Buckeye. I will post pictures when I finish them. For now, I will leave you all to your weekend plans. Feel free to comment or leave feedback...I would love it!

3 comments:

  1. Yum on the Banana Split cupcake! Can't wait to try it!! SO glad you got a blog going =) Just wish I lived closer to be a taste tester ;)
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie likes the Elvis. She said to say "Thank you! Thank you very much!" I like the one that tasted like the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, back before the recent banana craze started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the pumpkin cupcakes & chocolate cupcakes with mint icing. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete