Sunday, September 12, 2010

Going bananas!!

Chocolate fudge cake with champagne buttercream

Lemon cake topped with raspberry and buttercream

More lemon raspberry


The Mocha


Red Velvet topped with champagne buttercream

Well, no fondant this weekend. I didn't end up having enough time for it to set to allow me to work with it so I opted for royal icing instead. I think I really like working with royal icing. I had a baby shower for a new customer this weekend and she wanted baseball, basketball and football cupcake toppers which you can see pictured on this post. The colors were navy blue and red and I think they came out pretty darn cute! Bella watched me pipe all of the balls and kept saying, "Mom, I think your customer is going to love these!" (Heavy emphasis on the "love" part) I think it always helps to have a really cute cheer section in your corner when you are dealing with cupcakes, don't you?

This week I am all about bananas...hence, the title. I am doing my usual 6 pack offer with all banana based flavors this week. The first flavor is the Elvis: banana cake, peanut butter cream filling and chocolate frosting. I don't recall Elvis' creation including chocolate but a cupcake has to have frosting, right? I think the King would approve. The next flavor is Bananas Foster: banana cake, caramel filling and rum frosting. The final flavor, and my husband's personal favorite, is the Banana Split: banana cake, strawberry filling and buttercream with a touch of chocolate ganache. Yum!!

Well, I think it's time for me to go. I will leave you all (or maybe just the 2 faithful readers I have...spread the word, folks) with this debate. This is a hot debate in my house right now...drumroll please...when is a grilled cheese no longer a grilled cheese? Kyle and I think it's a grilled cheese even if you add something to it. My brother (who dines with us most nights) thinks once you add something besides just the cheese, you have to call it something else. Thoughts? Let's settle this hot debate! My thoughts...I made the sandwich, I can call it whatever I want :) Have a good night, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I would agree with you. You make it, you get to call it whatever want

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and brought them one of those sandwiches with ham and BBQ sauce, they might not be pleased. Sorry. I've got to side with Casey. Now you could call it Grilled Cheese and Ham or something, but not just Grilled Cheese. Kathie thinks the name should be Gourmet Grilled Cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would hope if someone ordered a grilled cheese with ham and BBQ, they would have read the menu to know what they were getting...a delicious grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete